peptastic

Peptastic is standing still

SPOILER ALERT!

Spoilers! as River Song wo

Allegiant  - Veronica Roth

I sat on my review for this book for a couple of days and looked back on the series as a whole to see if that would change my opinion on the series. Veronica Roth claims this ending was planned from the beginning which made the book come off worse. I don't feel a third book was necessary to the world of Divergent. If anything, adding the concept of damage genes and genetically pure complicated things. It made their faction based world come off as rather pathetic and I felt sorry for Cara. It also left a bitter taste in my mouth. Where did the factionless fit in to the government experiment? Roth undid her own series a disservice but having the world not mean anything in the context of the series world. She didn't hold up her own agreement with the reader by doing this.

The dual character perspective kept me out of the world because I was constantly checking to see who I was reading. Four read exactly like Tris. Until the end I couldn't understand why she chose to split the pov if she couldn't write differently. Why not write in third person? Did she not give us as readers enough credit to realise being genetically damaged or pure was pointless? We had to read that Tobias was a person by reading his pov to get that? But no, she needed a narrator when she killed off Tris.
If the faction based societies were people deemed genetically impure, are the factionless considered worse off than the Divergent? We already discovered that most of the Divergent were factionless so that can not be it. What did it say about the city and those outside it? Essentially they were the same. I never did buy into people being one personality. Roth never sold me on it. We had way too many scenes in all three books were the kids were called out for being like whatever faction they grew up in. Tris comes close with the new doctor friend Matthew that the genetically pure waged war so the damaged gene propaganda had nothing to do with it. This was all about control of the masses.
I kept waiting for a resolution on the factions being meaningless but the outside city of genetically pure vs. damaged was not what I had in mind. Considering how the book ended we really did not need the damaged and pure mess at all. Nothing was resolved whatsoever on the genetic end. No one found out they were propagandised to believe one group of people was better than the other. Tris died for nothing.
This leads me to my problem with that ending.
This story was completely dropped. Why didn't they unpropaganise the masses after Tris died? We got a rather nasty tidbit that the genetically impure still wanted to wage war but the government allowed the city to let people live inside there. A segregated little piece of the world for the genetically damaged? This is my problem with this book.
Why was the point of Insurgent retconned? Tris was wrong about the Abnegation belief of selflessness to be pointless self sacrifice. She realised she did not need to die because she felt guilty. We did not need the same storyline for Caleb. If he even felt guilty is beside the point. You can not force forgiveness. The relationship between her and Caleb should have been open ended. Saving his life from the Factionless was enough and we as readers could infer our own ending for them. Tris belief that she could survive the poison serum was ludicrous but dying from a shotgun and the plan not succeeding was the same journey we went through with her in Insurgence. Except we are supposed to read this same plot as right this time around? Saving the lives of the factionless and genetically damaged was selflessness. Instead the marginalised societies were both held up as violent. This left a bad taste in my mouth.
If she was supposed to die for other people then have the lives of your fictional worlds be better. Why not have had her die in Insurgent and the factionless be accepted. They could have realised if your Candor from being taught those qualities but you choose to live another quality then you can be more than one thing. Tris alone resisting mind control or propaganda but gives up her life because of Abnegation rules? She was just as susceptible to societal rules as Cara, Christina or anyone else.
The ending came across as for shock value/Nicholas Sparks style drivel because the sacrifice should mean something to the other characters for it to be sacrifice. Being shot by the guy her mom didn't like was useless to the series.
Tris should have died in Insurgent and the factionless could have been written as actual people rather than mindless violent because without society to reign them in. Allegient felt rushed and crammed in extra world building that went nowhere.